Thursday, January 21, 2010

They certainly are

I went to a Catholic, all girls high school. I don't talk about it much. Mostly because it was forever ago, but also because I don't think there's much to write about there. However. There was one thing my senior year that was awesome, and affects me to this day. Some time during the second half of my senior year, we got to vote on a class song. The way it was explained to us was that this song was going to be for us. It would be ours right there in that moment of graduating high school, and it would be ours forever after. At the time of the vote, I thought a few things: I don't really give a shit I do like that one song, but there's no way it'll win How much will I really think about this years from now? Well, I was wrong - The song that won was "These are days" by the 10,000 Maniacs, which was the song I wanted to win. Not only was Natalie Merchants voice fantastic, the words were just so appropriate to that time. It's like it was written just for us. I heard that song the other day while I was driving to Old Town. I blasted it, and sang every sing word. Surprising even myself, I teared up a little. I realized that while those lyrics were appropriate my senior year, they are still appropriate today. Not only are they appropriate, but they have a way of calming me and making me happy at the same time. I realized that the promise of what the present is, and what the future can be exists every day. I just have to remember to look for it. It's pretty awesome that I can claim this song as mine. These are days you'll remember Never before, and never since, I promise Will the whole world be warm as this And as you'll feel it You'll know it's true That you -you are blessed and lucky It's true - that you Are touched by something That will grow and bloom in you These are days you'll remember When May is rushing over you With desire to be part of the miracles You see in every hour You'll know it's true That you are blessed and lucky It's true - that you Are touched by something That will grow and bloom in you These are days These are the days That you might fill with laughter Until you break These days you might feel a shaft of light Make its way across your face And when you do You'll know - how it was Meant to be See the signs and know their meaning You'll know - how it was Meant to be Hear the signs and know they're speaking To you To you *happy weekend to you*

8 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

nice.

We saw 10,000 Maniacs on the previous tour, in a small 2500 seat theater. The mellow weenies kept tsk-ing at us when we would stand to dance. Eff them.

I still kind of have a thing for Natalie Merchant.

H. Abrantes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

Have a wonderful weekend, Von!

Vonnie said...

FYI
I'll be deleting all non-english comments foreverz.

Vonnie said...

Z - I used to describe her voice as cinnamon. Don't know why, but it fits.
J - You too!!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'll be deleting all non-english comments foreverz.

Ich bin ein jelly donut!
~

Jennifer said...

Underthay isay illysay.

Vonnie said...

Thunda - Funny, we actually just covered that statement in German class!! So funny.
Jennifer - esyay ehay isay.
These two non-english comments will stand.
This IS a Vonocracy.