Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Looking back and smiling

When we were teenagers, Laura and I used to go to this club Medusa's nearly every weekend. We were maybe 16 when we started going there. Medusa's was wonderful. We loved to dance, and the music there was awesome. New Wave, Industrial, all the good stuff from the early 90s. The crowd? While they were our people, we were on the more conservative side of things. I didn't have a driver's license at the time, and I don't think Laura had gotten hers yet. That's the reason her dad drove us there once. ONCE. We were young and blissfully ignorant to how Medusa's and the people that went there would look to Laura's career police officer dad. He drove by - I think we weren't cool with having him drop us off in front - and he saw the fine element that were hanging around outside before going in. Black leather. Mohawks. Chains. Weird piercings. Black lace. Black lip stick. Black eyeliner. "Psssssh." (Laura's dad made some weird noise) Uh oh. That was not a good noise. "You're going THERE?!" He was pointing at the tall big dude with the mohawk. Sigh "Yes." He looked at me, in my blazer and peg rolled jeans smiling hopefully from the back seat. He looked at Laura, in her blazer and peg rolled jeans smiling nervously from the seat next to him. (She was nervous that night because she was the one hiding the cigarettes in her pocket that night.) "Well. Be careful. See you later." He gave us a nervous little chuckle, and his familiar 'those two' shake of his head. But, he let us out of the car. He didn't trust the place, nor did he trust the people. But he trusted us. Even then, that meant something. *** A side note: The big dude with the mohawk? Many years later he would become Laura's husband. To this day I don't think her dad believes that to be true, but it is.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her husband now? That's awesome.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Does he still have a mohawk?

Vonnie said...

AG - Yes.
RM - Nope. Now he's lame.;)

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Lame?

Did cop-dad run him over, too?

my verification word was TATER. Now THAT is awesome.

TATER TATER TATER.

Vonnie said...

Rotten - you crack me up. For real. Tater is an awesome verification word.
I'm telling you, I'm thinking about writing a post all about word verifications.
New name for you: Rotten Tater McDonald?
Wow. My word verf is redishness. Hm. "MY cheeks have redishness from the cold"

Adorable Girlfriend said...

I now want a mohawk!

I like the Ronald Tater McDonald. I might actually stop calling him BP.

Nah. Never.

Nor will I ban him. Only ground him.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Ground me Baby. With extreme prejudice.

And use your teeth.

I will give you a mohawk. No charge. stop by anytime.

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me about this one! You suck because now I'm crying.

Oh, and a little side note to RM: Even though I don't know you, I can say that maybe dad should have run him over...

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I can say that maybe dad should have run him over...

laura, I'm just a gatecrasher. I don't know the whole backstory, obviously, but as a former Young Male, I can say that most Young Males could probably use a light bit of running over...

Just enough to tenderize them a bit, you know.

TATER