Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Politics, again!

Ok, so I've got a few things to say. I am going to first agree with Laura and say that we should not see the First Family in US Weekly. It might have been a bit of a gray area when President Obama was the President Elect, but now, as the leader of the free world he should be treated as such, and not on the same level of "celebrity" as, say, Paris Hilton. Let's leave him on the pedestal on which he belongs, not gossip rag fodder, but more on the real and actual news pages he belongs on. That being said. More than one person had voiced to me yesterday that they were a little tired of all of the coverage that the inauguration was getting. Hm. Who remembers four years ago? Can anyone honestly say there was more or less coverage? More or less celebrity guests? (Ok, bad Republican celebrity guests, but still) More or less fanfare? No one actually knows, because no one was paying attention! Not one of my young democrat friends gave enough of a shit. See, I distinctly remember turning OFF any and all of the Bush2 celebrations because I couldn't believe we were celebrating four more years of crap. One thing I can speak to (because I looked it up): President Obama's number of Inaugural Balls - 10 - Including the super fantastic Neighborhood Ball that he created as a celebration For. The. People. Former (phew!) President Bush's 2nd term Inaugural Balls - 9. So, you say, you cynic - See? President Obama has a lot! Like the most! Show off! NOT SO FAST. The most Inaugural Balls ever held? President Clinton holds the record at 14! FOURTEEN!! Plus, I don't think the President himself is responsible for the fanfair. Let's not blame him, ok people? On another note. I'm really really annoyed at the women who spent part of yesterday discussing the wardrobe choices of the First Lady and the Vice President's wife. I don't care what Michelle or Jill were wearing. NOT IMPORTANT. As far as their clothes? The most I care is if they were warm. I hope Michelle's feet didn't hurt when she walked part of the parade route. We should not be discussing whether Jill's boots were a solid choice or if Michelle looks good in yellow. By discussing that you demean those two great ladies, and, in my opinion, you demean all women. You present the image that, even on what is one of the most important days in our living history, that we might be so shallow as to discuss at length their clothes. What do I think about when I look at Michelle Obama and Jill Biden? I think 'How strong they are. How brave. They know that they are a part of something huge, and country altering. They could lose their husbands over the small minds and prejudices of some of their own countrymen. They stands by their husbands as no one else can.' I don't think 'Huh. Nice dress.' God Bless President Obama. May his enthusiasm and our country's general uplifted mood last and last. For at least the next eight years.

15 comments:

Adorable Girlfriend said...

It's post like this that make me crush even more on Von, if that's possible!

I cannot agree more about the clothing thing. I got into it on another blog today about this.

Let the good times begin.

Anonymous said...

Von, we are on the same wavelength.

Vonnie said...

AG - thanks for the ups!
TheMarty - aren't we usually?!?

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Can we talk about Aretha's hat?

Cuz that was an excellent hat.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Billy Pilgrim! Go eat a chili dog or something.

Vonnie said...

Actually. Yes, Rotten, we CAN talk about that, as she is not a politician.
When I first saw it, I said "Holy Shit! What IS that?!"
Then, after the third or fourth time, I was like "Hm. Kinda cool, and definately a distraction from her gut."
Good call RM.
AG - Leave my commentors alone.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Actually, BP was my commenter first and the one who called it RoCDs. Therefore, I am given carte blanc trash talk him over the Internets. :)

However, I am too in heart with you to fight.

Vonnie said...

Nope, sorry. On MY blog, no one has carte blanc but me.
Don't harrass my commentuers.
And don't fight with me.

Anonymous said...

One cannot "own" a commentor. There are all sorts of legal/moral/ethical as well as courtesy issues that arise from that.

If one Hearts VON, the one should be able to respect the boundary as established by VON

Mendacious D said...

Carte blanche

Just sayin'.

And that was a sweet hat.

Vonnie said...

Aw MenD. Thanx for currectin' mah spellinz :)
And back to Aretha we go!

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I am a new Zombee.

No more spelling Zombee.

But I do have several owners....

That new skin looks familiar, btw.

Shannon Erin said...

Zombee,

I'm working on customizing the template specifically for Von.

Poptart said...

I so love this post, but I also so love the hat *and* the closeup of Mrs. Obama's elegant green-leather-clad hands on the red Lincoln bible. Maybe not a fashion comment, but something close. I just love the POTUS and almost everything about Tuesday. All of it. I feel like I finally understand what people who do politics are saying. And it sounds good to me.

Vonnie said...

Just a quick fyi for those of you who don't know, Poptart was there. Like THERE. In Washington. On Tuesday. She's one of the coolest people I know.