Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Giving up

Yes, I still give things up for Lent. Yes, I also still try to remember to not eat meat on Fridays during Lent. I could give a shit if you do or don't follow Lenten traditions. At best, I am a lapsed Catholic. I don't really believe in going to Mass, and I am wholly against going on High Holy Days and pretending that's good enough. VonMom, I'm looking at you. BUT I am someone's Godmother. Someone old enough to ask what I'm giving up for Lent. She's one of the most important people in my life, so for her I *gulp* try to set a good Catholic example. SO This year? It's going to be a tough one people! I'm giving up Dunkin Doughnuts and everything they sell (good bye, bagel!) for the duration of Lent - C'mon Easter! Get here soon! I'm also giving up buying breakfast during the week. So, if it's not oatmeal or yogurt brought from home, I can't have it. Both of these are going to be big sacrifices. HUGE! But, ultimately, it'll be good for my diet and good for my wallet. But trust me, I will feel that loss! One day down, 39 to go.

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

wow! good one! it's good to give things up even if not wholly for a believed-in religion. gives us some perspective, imho. 3 cheers for you.

Jennifer said...

I gave up Lent for Lent years ago, but agree with Kathleen... it's always an eye-opener to do away with some habit for awhile.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I hope you're not going to give up your gold medal!
~

Brando said...

TLB and I are giving up fast food. And while I can never do the fasting thing on Ash Wednesday, I did manage to stay meatless yesterday. Old habits die hard.

Vonnie said...

Oh, if only I were Lindsay Vonn, because she is teh awesome. We do have the same hair, but beyond that? Not so much.
Brando - all fast food? That's going to be tough!! Good luck.

Vonnie said...

Another day, another no dunkin donuts.
betcha the other Vonn doesn't eat bagels either.
Well, she probably doesn't eat them at all, but whatever.

Brando said...

Yep, quitting cold Butterburger. It will not be easy. Although I'll probably keep Subway open since I actually prefer their healthier sandwiches over the fattier ones.

Jennifer said...

I did manage to stay meatless yesterday.

My mind is spinning with comebacks. Brando should see if he can give up dick jokes.

Von- the first few days are the hardest. And I'm leaving that one alone...

fish said...

Dick jokes within dick jokes.

I gave up religion long before I gave up Hamburger Hamlet.

SIL1X said...

The THOUGHT of giving up Dunkin Donuts lattes hurts me.

Vonnie said...

Sil1x - oh, you'll be getting your DD tomorrow, as payment.
It'll kill me to go in there, but for you, I'll do it!