Sunday, November 2, 2008

An update

There are so many topics I want to write about, however, there's something big going on in my life right now, so I don't have the time nor the motivation to blog. Because I count you all among my friends, I'm sharing it with you here. I've just spent half of my Sunday morning crying in my parents' kitchen. I'm afraid that my aweome precious beagle, Charlie, is dying. He's had a back problem for about 5 years that has been getting worse this year. About a month ago, we had to take him to the emergency vet. They thought again it was his back. Things have been going down the tubes since then. This weekend seems to be the worst. He has not gotten up, eaten or really drank any water all weekend. I've made him rice with chicken broth, he wants nothing to do with it. I have to bring water to him in his bed and hope that he drinks a few ounces. He's only been outside once this weekend. I went to my parents' house to talk to them. I walked in the house and immediately started crying. I want the vet to fix him, make him better. I don't want him to suffer anymore, I really do think at this point that he is suffering. My parents told me that our vet (he's been my families vet for 30 years) never makes the final decision for you. I guess we will have to say "I think it's time" and he will either disagree or say "ok". I don't think I can do this. I have to go to work, so it's going to have to be VonSis that takes him to the vet either tomorrow or Tuesday. My dad is going to go with her, for moral support. My parents came over a little bit ago. I know they said that they wanted to see how Charlie was doing, but it sure felt like they were saying goodbye. I know that I won't be doing much of anything besides working and taking care of Charlie over the next little while. So, my friends, bear with me. If you think I'm a sap for being so attached to my dog, so be it. But, if you understand where I'm coming from then thanks. Hopefully I'll be back later this week, with some good news.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not a sap at all. I only met him once, but just hearing you talk about him Charlie is not "just a dog" he's a companion.

I've been down this road more times than I can count (I once paid an obscene amount of money to get kitty insulin for my newly diabetic cat, since I couldn't bear to lose him.)

In other words, I'm here for you.

Shannon Erin said...

I love Charlie (and you too). If I can do anything at all to help, please tell me. You're both in my thoughts and prayers. Not that I pray much, but I sure will for Charlie dog.

Hillary said...

M'sorry Von. Hope everything works out, and if it doesn't, <3s so much.

Vonnie said...

Thanks all. Really. My dad and sister are taking him to the vet today. My sister and I had a long tearful (on my part, more) talk last night, in which I told her I trust her to do what's best. That being said, I got up really early this morning to spend time with my CharlieBear. I got him to drink some water, then I talked to him and hugged him and kissed him for a good long while. Yes, I think I might have been saying goodbye. I really really hope that the vet can figure out what is wrong, and that it's not his time, and that he'll get better, but just in case, we had some quality time today.

Jennifer said...

I've been there a few times. I hate it. Big hug to you and to Charlie.

Anonymous said...

/hugs to you, Vonnie. Fingers crossed for you and Charlie.

Anonymous said...

Oh Von! What can I do? I am so sorry to hear this news.

I am glad I had the chance to meet Charlie over the summer and know such a fantastic pet. He and you were very lucky to find each other, I hope you know that. (And I think you do.)

I am sending you the biggest hug in the world. You and Charlie are loved -- never forget that.

Poptart said...

Thanks for the little update here Von and I've been thinking about you and Charlie all night/morning. PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do to help you through what I know is a rough time...

And yes, I totally understand and feel for you, and Nicki, and Charlie.

Anonymous said...

I met Charlie twice. He is on my list of world's greatest dogs.

Your grief is real and palpable Vonnie. It is something you have to face. There is nothing sappy or pathetic about it. Feeling strongly over a member of your family, which few pets ever really become, is something to be proud of. Charlie is a dog to be proud of, and I would be privileged to help you through your grief in anyway I can.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

So sorry to hear that.

If you're a sap, so am I.

I hope you and Charlie can find some peace.