Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks

Top 10 things I am thankful for: 1. My job. I'm no idiot. Every day. Every day I am thankful for the job that I have, and the wonderful company and people that I work for and with. I am so very lucky. I know what things are like out there, everywhere. Not only am I thankful to have a job, but I am thankful to have a great job. 2. My apartment. Even though I don't own it, I am thankful that I have a warm, cozy, cute place to live. I can paint it however I like, have a great backyard I can entertain in. 3. I'm thankful for my name. I know, it's a little weird. Let me explain. Up until the last 5 years or so, I hated my name. I don't know why I changed my mind, but now I really love it. It's unique, and allows for nicknames a plenty. I'm thankful my mom forgot what she was actually going to name me - Yvette, I am certainly NOT an Yvette - and bestowed on me the awesome name that is mine until the end. (p.s. - for those of you that don't know, my real and actual VonMom given name is Yvonne) 4. I am thankful for the 15 months and 1 day that I have not smoked a cigarette. You can do it MenD!! 5. I am thankful for the fact that I have not one but two places to go tomorrow. Sure, I bitch about the stepfam, but they like me a whole lot. So does my goddaughter, who is so excited about me coming back this year that she was hopping around the house last Saturday. I might even be NICE to the stepfam. We'll see. Ido plan to stay late at Chris' house and hang out with my awesome goddaughter. I'm thankful for her, too. 6. I am thankful for the Old Town School. I love it there. I feel my absolute best when I am there. After three years volunteering there, it never gets old. I love the music, the staff, the other volunteers (ok, most of them), the way I'm treated there. They really appreciate us there. No politics, no b.s. 7. I am so so so thankful for my friends. Old and new. Chicagoan, Bostonians, Internets, etc. Those I've known 20 years are just as valuable as those I've known less than 1 year. I am blessed to know all of you. I love all of you. I would not be the person I am were it not for you. You all make me a better person. 8. I am thankful for my family. Family is a relative term, especially in my life. Germans, Canadians, actuals, step, Sil1x, etc. 9. I am thankful for iTunes, my iPod, my laptop and Netflix. All of these things will get me through my long weekend. A little materialism is okey dokey in my book. 10. Finally, I am thankful for carbohydrates, without which I would never enjoy Thanksgiving. Ah, sweet carbs, come to mama. Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving. Eat well, sleep in, have a drink or two.

3 comments:

Mendacious D said...

Thanks, Von! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Poptart said...

Love the list - I am gonna do one, too. You've inspired me!

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

enjoy the holiday weekend. Give Langford a sloppy kiss for me.